"Man Versus Possum" is the second episode of the first season of Parenthood. The episode first aired on March 9, 2010. Adam and Kristina come to terms with the fact that their son may have Asperger's Syndrome. Sarah is on the job hunt and Zeek pushes her to dream big. Meanwhile, Crosby bonds with his newly discovered son and Julia deals with a aggravating mom from Sydney's school.
Adam bolts awake in the middle of the night. Something is scurrying across the roof... it's back! Adam grabs a flashlight and a tennis racquet and rushes outside. A rogue possum leads Adam on a chase through the yard, but easily evades him by running into the bushes. The next morning, Crosby takes Jabbar out for pancakes, trying to bond with his newly discovered son, talking to him like an adult. Jabbar mainly looks confused, admitting that he likes waffles better than pancakes. Adam and Kristina get a diagnosis confirming Max's Asperger's syndrome. Sarah interviews for a graphic design job with a little help from her brother and father. Amber is told that she is being held back in the tenth grade as her transcripts from her former school in Fresno are unsatisfactory for her new school. Julia is frustrated with a fellow mother from Sydney's school and tensions come to a head at the school's fund raising auction.
- Peter Krause as Adam Braverman
- Lauren Graham as Sarah Braverman
- Dax Shepard as Crosby Braverman
- Monica Potter as Kristina Braverman
- Erika Christensen as Julia Braverman-Graham
- Sam Jaeger as Joel Graham
- Savannah Paige Rae as Sydney Graham
- Sarah Ramos as Haddie Braverman
- Max Burkholder as Max Braverman
- Joy Bryant as Jasmine Trussell
- Miles Heizer as Drew Holt
- Mae Whitman as Amber Holt
- Bonnie Bedelia as Camille Braverman
- Craig T. Nelson as Zeek Braverman
- Tyree Brown as Jabbar Trussell-Braverman
- Erinn Hayes as Racquel
- Marguerite Moreau as Katie
- Tom Amandes as Dr. Pelikan
- Amanda Foreman as Suze Lessing
- Phil Abrams as Phil Lessing
- Mark Edward Smith as Principal Gomez
- Alain Uy as Edwin Chung
- Travis Caldwell as Colin
- Faith Wong as Harmony
- Nicholas Lobue as Noel Lessing
To Amber and Drew
Sarah: You can be the best. I believe in you. Just be you.
Sarah: I just moved to Berkley and this might sound lame but I’m ready to make a fresh start, and if you give me this chance I know I can blow your freaking mind.
To her parents
Haddie: Sorry for not being the girl you thought I was.
After Adam says he found his daughter’s pot
Sarah: So it was Haddie’s? Amber didn’t lie? Amber told the truth.
Adam: Well, I’m glad this is such good news for you.
Sarah: Amber told the truth.
Adam: Haddie’s smoking pot.
Sarah: Well, Amber told me the truth. That’s happened, like, one other time.
Zeek: You didn’t move all the way to Berkeley to serve up a bunch of whiskey sours to alcoholics. You should be on the other side of that equation.
Sarah: Okay. I should– I should be an alcoholic?
Zeek: No. You should be an executive.